Ooook, I’m a little nervous, bear with me! This one is for my writers, authors, mentors, mentees, and friends.
Hello! *insert deep chuckle* I’m Alechia (Aleesha), you can call me Allie, Ali, Leesh, or just stick with Alechia, but please don’t call me Alex<—I had a teacher call me that for two years and it really bugged me. Anyway, (I’m still chuckling), I write YA Sci-fi, somewhat on the lighter side, ownvoicy and diverse. Think kickass girls saving the world, finding a best friend, and sometimes falling in love.
Here is my blurb that is sorta like my query:
Here are some interesting things (maybe) about me:
- I’m a classically trained pastry chef with a 4 yr degree in Baking & Pastry Arts, and not to toot my own horn, but I make pretty good cookies.
- I also went to school for, and have my degree in, Library & Info Science. I was that weirdo YA Librarian in her Converse, making jokes and laughing loud despite working in a “quiet” space.
- I’ve held various odd jobs but my one of favorites (my all-time fave is librarianing) was working as a food critic for a local newspaper. My least favorite was a cashier at 7-Eleven, which I’d only worked at for one hour until some woman verbally attacked me over the freshness of the hot dogs. I’ll be honest, she had a point.
- I currently live in Germany, with my German husband and a 3 y/o daughter, who is ridiculously funny.
- I read (that’s not so interesting, many people do) a lot of YA, children’s, and some adult. I’m an INFJ, Gryffindor (or Ravenclaw, depending the test), and I’d be on Magneto’s side in X-Men<—-I know that’s bad.
- I once complained to my dad that I was bored, and he told me to hum something exciting. So I hummed the theme for Indiana Jones, and to this day I still hum it when I’m waiting for my next adventure
- My dad, grandfather, and uncle are (were) musicians. My mom apparently also sang on stage once, got so scared she ran off and never went back, but loved music. Thus, I grew up around, listening, and making music. All of my books have music in them.
- I save up to travel places, usually just for food. A friend will say: oh I want to go to Spain and see the sights and the nightlife! And I’ll say: cool, cool, cool. I also want to go to Spain, but I have a whole day at the food market planned and I have a list of foodtastic places to visit. If there’s time, I’ll see the “sights” in between.
- I wasn’t paying attention during my wedding ceremony, (to be fair, it was in German, and I’d only been there a year) so when the ring plate came toward me, I grabbed my own ring and put it on my finger. Apparently, I hadn’t seen enough wedding movies to know that he was supposed to my ring on? My husband just shook his head laughing, and the officiant said he’d been doing weddings for so many years and no one had ever done that before.
- I have been described many times by bosses, friends, strangers, family and bus drivers as “colorful”. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing, but I’ll take it.
My taste in music, books, and shows reflect my moods, and will not be completely comprehensive:
Books: The Hate U Give (loved it!), Six of Crows (both, and actually let’s just say Leigh Bardugo’s collected works), Boy Meets Girl (Cabot), Boy Meets Boy (Levithan), A Court of Mist and Fury, Last Bite (Nancy Verde Barr, foodie romances get me), Harry Potter (I mean, come on), Cassandra Clare’s Lady Midnight: Dark Artifices, a Hester Browne book when it’s cold outside, Marie Lu is one of my favorite authors, and you can find me nose deep in a good cookbook often. And too many pbs to name!
Shows: Black-ish, Jessica Jones, Sense8, Mr. Robot, LEGION (so good!), iZombie (it’s so fun!) Fargo (2nd season, especially), The Handmaid’s Tale (yes, I’ve read the book too), Game of Thrones (when I can stomach it, the show makes me all sorts of nervous + anxious), Chef’s Table, Luther (oh goodness, Idris!)…. Brit coms: Vicar of Dibley, Black Books…
Films: The Holiday, Rogue One, Sense & Sensibility, Pride & Prejudice (don’t judge me, I love the Keira Knightley version bc of the score) the original three Bourne movies, Trolls (yes the recent one, I was once photographed for our daily newspaper when I was a kid because I had a collection of over 200+ trolls! not. even. kidding. I love trolls) X-Men, Marvel universe although I’m bitter that there aren’t any black women superheroes…yet
WHY AM I ENTERING PITCH WARS?
I have three completed WIPs. My first MS was selected for a Writing in the Margins mentorship. My mentor is AMAZING, and she improved my book, my life, and I’m over the moon because she got me, and helped me. I get a little misty-eyed thinking about it.
I want to enter Pitch Wars because I’m still learning, I don’t have an agent, and I can use all the help I can get! I also really would love to make more friends in the writing community, and get more confidence in my voice, and my work!
As a mentee, I’m hardworking, I listen, and I’m friendly. I’m not an arguer; I trust that you want me to succeed, and for that, I’m grateful!
Thank you, #PimpMyBio Blog Hop. My handle is @AliBookyMonster Thank you to all the #Pitchwars mentors and mentees. And thanks for reading!!